Digital Marketing like any industry has passed through many turning points, ups, and downs during its development era. New inventions and technologies were involved throughout this revolution. The way of thinking about the potential or current customers and how to satisfy their needs has been more specified for any business with the help of digital marketing tools. Digital marketing agencies have also appeared with different types to handle digital work.
In this article, we are going to light up on the main points about this revolution and how digital marketing was a journey over the years.
We can briefly define traditional marketing as any type of marketing that used offline channels. From newspaper, television, radio, and direct mail to billboards. Traditional marketing helps you reach a local audience in the first place and it is more expensive compared to digital marketing which is less cost-effective and reaches a more global audience.
Well, Digital Marketing is all marketing efforts that are done online to achieve the goals for both business and customer. It includes all the services via digital media channels such as websites, blogs, social media platforms, email, podcasts, etc.
The evolution of the new platforms didn’t cancel the traditional ones, but it made the traditional marketing a second option for new businesses.
Digital Marketing Types
- Search Engine Optimization or SEO
- Pay Per Click ads or PPC
- Social Media Marketing or SMM
- Content Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Marketing Analytics
History of Digital Marketing – Timeline (1993-2022)
- 1993 – The first clickable banner was displayed.
- 1994 – Invention of cookies . They are used to access websites, they also track your activity. This help business to know about your interests, and offer you customized promotions.
- 1996 – New search engines and tools like Alexa, Look Smart, and Hot Bot were launched.
- 1998 – Google, MSN search engine launched by Microsoft, and Yahoo web search arrived.
- 1999 – Launch of Web 2.0 , which allowed users to upload and share content.
- 2002 – Launch of LinkedIn.
- 2003 – The first social networking site was launched. Companies began to notice that they could reach thousands of users in minutes or even seconds, and at a very low price.
- 2004 – Launch of Facebook
- 2005 – Launch of YouTube.
- 2006 – Search engine traffic touched nearly 6.5 billion in just one month. Microsoft replaced MSN and launched Live Search. Twitter also was set.
- 2008 – Launch of Music sharing site like Spotify.
- 2009 – Launch of Google instant , enabling users to get real-time search engine results.
- 2010 – Launch of Messaging app for mobiles, WhatsApp and Instagram.
- 2011 – Launch of Google + and Google Panda.
- 2015 – Rise of content marketing.
- 2016 – In this year SEO has changed. Google Panda and Penguin 4.0 Updates happened. Accelerated mobile pages (AMP) were introduced in the same year.
- 2017 – Video ads increased.
- 2018 – Machine learning and marketing automation took place and Integrating of social messaging apps.
- 2019 – Social Media conversions increased and Email Marketing Get Personal.
- 2020 – Pandemic Covid-19 led to the great growth of the digital era.
- 2021- Launch of Metaverse by Facebook. Metaverse is a broad concept of how we interact online.
- 2022 – The rise in the use of mobile devices globally has helped the growth of e-commerce and still, digital marketing is evolving and constantly growing to this minute.
Digital Marketing in the future
The Internet has become big data. With every year new tools, platforms, and technologies make their appearance in the digital marketing world. Our world with its businesses has been adapted to this cycle since everything is becoming faster and more specific.
The general vision of digital marketing growth is to improve artificial intelligence programmatic promotion, chatbots, personalization, and conversational advertising in marketing. Experts also believe that influencer marketing will likely continue to grow in the future.
According to brand equity, “ over 50% of customer queries may be managed today via AI-based chatbots and the global AI-enabled market will reach $2.2 billion by 2024. As the technology continues to mature and interesting use cases come to light, expect an ‘AI-first’ strategy to be the new normal in marketing by 2025.”
At talent Minds Agency, we always go digital to transform your goals and keep your business updated on the trends through our services with our talented team!
Are you still far from the digital world or facing some problems? Call us today whatever your industry is we have the best solution for you!